Figuring out how to find developers in the IT market (especially good ones) entails more than just learning how to write a job description. You have to do the hunting.
Finding software developers is very challenging but an important process as the quality of your software is entirely dependent on the skills and experience of the chosen specialist.
As a result, when it comes to product development, the question “where can I find software developers for my project?” becomes quite important.
So how do you find a good coder online if you’re not a programmer? We have prepared a cheat sheet containing search methods that you might not have considered. Keep on reading to discover how to find good software developers in a variety of networks.
Steps to take before looking for programmers
Finding a developer might be challenging even if you’re the CTO of a large organization—not to mention non-technical people, particularly startup founders. That’s why before you rush out and hire any programmer, you must find exactly what you need.
What is your project goal?
Every project has at least one goal. Defining your goal clearly and crisply can be one of the most beneficial things done during software development. A fuzzy goal will most likely lead to fuzzy results.
A project goal guarantees that you have the necessary resources (i.e., people, funds, and time) and use a consistent approach to yield good quality for the app you want.
Finding the right developer for your company depends on clearly defining your project objectives. Do you need a mobile app? Do you want to build and successfully deploy a web-based timesheet data application? Do you need internal software to maximize productivity? These questions are critical for your choice of an engineer.
When you have defined what you need, then you’ll be able to attract and hire developers.
Another key aspect is the duration of your project. Do you need a developer for a few months? Will your project take a year to complete?
These questions are critical in achieving your goal. The duration will determine where you will start your headhunt.
Where you find full-time software engineers
Essence of the method: Ask your acquaintances if they have devs to recommend.
How it works: Ask your workmates from your current or previous job.
If you are active on social networks, create a post with a search ad. Ask people you know to share it and ask them to snowball the search ad as well. By doing so, you’ll get considerable coverage with minimal effort.
- Real feedback about the candidate’s skills,
- It is free,
- It is easy.
- Number and variety of devs are limited by your friendship network,
- It can take time for the information to be shared.
Essence of the method: Post a vacancy on tech job boards or search portals.
How it works: Post a vacancy, prepare vetting process, interview applicants that respond, tell them what you expect from them, and prioritize the one you like most. In case of a few responses, you can refer to the portal CV database. Each CV is created by an applicant. When searching, you can filter candidates by:
- Job title;
- Special features.
Application programming interfaces (APIs) and software development kits (SDKs) can help you build your app quickly, so you better look for talented developers that are familiar with such solutions.
CVs contain contact information; based on this, you can easily contact a developer directly or via the portal itself.
Top job boards to find developers include: Angellist, Stack Overflow, Dice, Monster, Indeed, and Glassdoor.
- Interested programmers respond to the vacancy,
- Broad coverage, including different regions on demand.
- Small cost of posting a vacancy and getting the database access,
- Finding and selecting takes much time and resources.
A vacancy on the company website
Essence of the method: Post a vacancy with a detailed job description on your organization’s website. Potential software developers can be among the visitors. If people know about you, candidates will reach out themselves. On the other hand, you need a strong brand identity for this. Pay for relevant keywords traffic in Google Ads if you lack visitors (or developers among them).
How it works: When a software developer is looking for a job, he enters a search query similar to this: “full-stack developer jobs,” “ruby developer jobs,” and “devops engineer jobs.” You can pay Google to display the vacancy ad linked to your website higher up in the SERP results. You pay only if someone clicks on your ad and gets to your site. This is called contextual advertising or PPC advertising.
Create a list of keywords a required software developer would most probably use when searching for a job. Set up Google Ads or Bing Ads for these keywords so that a visitor will have the ability to get to your vacancy page.
- Your job posting becomes visible right after the launch of an advertising campaign,
- Job description (i.e., vacancies) can be targeted to a specific region, in the required language, and indicating required technologies,
- Showing the ad to everyone who are interested in the same budget range.
- Competition for search results with other job aggregators can increase the cost per click, especially in the IT industry, resulting in a high overall price,
- The process can take time if there are few queries,
- Certain knowledge and skills are required to set up contextual advertising campaigns (or hire the best contractors to do this job).
Essence of the method: Contact professionals searching and recruiting candidates.
How it works: Recruiting agencies will take care of everything—create a persona of the ideal candidate, review their databases, sort through incoming applications, sieve incompetent applicants, and interview the most appropriate candidates. Recruiting agencies try to discover if the programmer will be a good fit with your software engineering team.
As a result, recruiters will provide a shortlist of the best candidates, and all you have to do is make the final decision.
You can find software developers online using sites like PaGegroup, Hays, The Adecco Group, and Randstad.
- No need to build recruiting processes; you can focus on the core processes of your company,
- Enables incognito hiring when recruiters select candidates on their behalf.
- High cost of recruiting services,
- Intermediate control over the hiring process is delegated to a third party.
Essence of the method: Find suitable job seekers within LinkedIns’ professional social network and invite them for an interview.
How it works: LinkedIn — is an online social network for business communication and the favorite go-to place for recruitment because there are a lot of talented applicants to pick from.
Use search to find and hire a suitable engineer. For better quality and speed of the search, apply filtration by country(and city), job title, skills, company an engineer works for, or university an applicant graduated from.
Apply several criteria at once for a more precise search.
Study profiles you are interested in. Programmers you hire should know how to code, build and design apps. You should learn what types of projects and tasks they have managed to accomplish. Pay attention to professionals who are currently looking for a job: #OpenToWork on the avatar or “Looking for work” in the job title.
The profile contains more information about the potential dev, i.e., personal introduction, previous job portfolios, experience, education, programming languages, and certificates. Find programmers online by looking through a portfolio, check if there are products similar to what you want to make, and download a couple of apps on App Store or Google Play to see how they work.
Once you have selected a sufficient number of developers, “connect” with them and write a message about your vacancy.
Don’t worry if people don’t get back to you, as in LinkedIn; they can get dozens of messages daily. However, people looking for a job will most likely reply to your message.
The number of people you reach out to matters when finding candidates on LinkedIn. Don’t give up; it won’t take long to get a result.
LinkedIn has developed special paid services with advanced features for companies that recruit a lot and often. These services provide more advanced filtering, no limits for connections, and other options that facilitate hiring many employees. Learn more about these services on the LinkedIn Recruiter page.
- Flexible filter settings allow you to find the talented developers you are looking for,
- It is free,
- A considerable pool of professionals: by 2020, the total number of LinkedIn users reached 675 million, of which 310 million are active users (source Wikipedia).
- Requires much time and effort,
- Candidates may distrust your messages.
Vacancy in social networks
Essence of the method: Promote your vacancy through social network sites like Facebook and Instagram.
How it works: Post the vacancy for a software developer on your website. Describe the goal you want to achieve with the new expected programmer. In your advertising account, set the audience to which you want to show ads. Determine who will see your ads by applying filters: geo-targeting, demographics, interests, or behavior. You can set payment either for clicks or expressions. You set the budget yourself, but keep in mind that the smaller it is, the fewer people will see your ads. This is called targeted advertising.
- Significant coverage,
- Flexible settings of the target audience,
- Increases your HR-brand awareness.
- Social media marketing skills are required to set up advertising campaigns,
- Requires considerable expenses, however less in comparison with Google Ads.
Searching for a software developer for one-off jobs
Essence of the method: Post a vacancy or select the required freelance software developer from the marketplace.
How it works: Platforms are conventionally divided into general and niche groups. General platforms provide specialists and services for all kinds of work. Niche platforms are explicitly created for finding freelance developers in a particular domain, for example, software development.
Hiring a freelance developer has various advantages and disadvantages. So, when you want to find freelance programmers that are the best fit for your business product or your startup, pay attention to several things, including ratings, reviews, previous projects, technical background, and the type of clients they’ve worked for – all this data is available on the platform.
Platforms offer to close deals on the platform itself: you deposit the remuneration sum, and the freelancer accomplishes his project and gets the payment only after your confirmation.
You can collaborate directly without having a platform as an intermediary, but you bear all the risks in this case. Best place to find freelance programmers:
General: PeoplePerHour, Upwork
Niche platforms: Toptal
- Great choice of programmers,
- Suitable for any budget.
- A large number of low-skilled experts,
- High probability of encountering an unscrupulous worker, resulting in missed deadlines, many fixes and tweaks, and loss of the advance payment together with the specialist.
Looking for a software developer for the quick start (team scaling)
Dedicated software developers
Essence of the method: You consult a provider company that offers services of on-demand developers. You can find them in the specialized catalogs (i.e., clutch, goodfirms, and designrush) or simply in Google. These vetted and trusted platforms are a better place to find remote developers at reasonable prices because you can find talented developers from around the world.
How it works: The provider company presents the list of manually selected and assessed best software developers. You pick the required one and sign an agreement with this company. Moving forward, the qualified developer will be fully dedicated to your project, and you will pay the provider for this service. You lead your development team despite the geographical distance. You fully control the developer, starting from acceptance of the task until it is accomplished. In addition, you can hire any number of software developers for any period. If you want to be sure that the software team is fully dedicated to your project, use platforms like Jaydevs, where this is guaranteed.
- It is fast since the best software engineers are selected and assessed. You just need to pick the required one(s),
- More cost-effective compared to hiring developers on staff,
- Competencies of developers are above average.
- A provider company bears responsibility for a developer; they can replace a developer and compensate for losses.
- Developer doesn’t work directly for you,
- Provider company may lack vacant software developers.
Looking for new perspective employees
Software developers communities
Essence of the method: Find resources where software developers share their mobile and web app development experience and observe. Invite applicants who have impressed you for a chat.
How it works: Through talks, publications, and posts, developers share their expertise, knowledge, life hacks, and ways to address possible problems they encounter. Through the content, you will understand the developer’s level and whether your team needs this person.
Where to look?
- Conferences and meet-ups;
- Developer communities in messengers;
- Publications of developers in their blogs and media.
This technique is a great supplement for other ways of searching—such as:
- You can check if the picked developer has searched for his publications on the internet;
- You can post your vacancies in developer communities
- The content reflects the competencies of a developer,
- Additional opportunity to screen potential engineers,
- Additional coverage for your vacancies.
- Requires much time and effort,
- Has a delayed effect.
Collaborating with students and graduates
Essence of the method: Get in touch with higher educational institutions preparing software engineers.
How it works: Graduates from universities can become valuable staff members for your company as they are motivated, bringing new ideas, willing to learn, and proactive. In this way, there are several ways to find the best developers:
- Host a special event at the university. Tell them about your company, benefits, perks for employees, salary level, job specifics, and interesting projects. Leave contact information for students interested in vacancies.
- Invite students for on-the-job training. This will enable students to test their knowledge in a real business environment and would help in finding a student whose skills match their business goals.
- Ask university representatives for permission to be present at the defense of graduation papers. This is a great opportunity to observe candidates in action: check competence degree when answering programming technical interview questions, manner of behavior, and stress resistance.
- You can see potential candidates in action,
- Potential candidates are highly motivated.
- Continuous hiring process,
- Search for future perspective,
- Candidates for only trainee and junior positions,
- The necessity to arrange collaborative events with universities.
Let’s sum it up:
- Need full-time developers on staff? Ask your acquaintances, place vacancies on aggregators, on your website, and on social networks, and start paid ad campaigns to ensure broader coverage.
- Need developers for one-off jobs? Search on freelance platforms.
- Need developers fast? On-demand programmers (a.k.a. dedicated developers).
- Need new talents? Collaboration with higher educational institutions and following authoritative sources in the domain.
Find a software developer with JayDevs
JayDevs is a dedicated software development company to help businesses succeed from the ground up. We offer the following benefits:
- A thorough consultation from our Project Managers regarding your project,
- A team of skilled developers of any specialization, creative designers, and top-tier QA engineers ensures the high quality of your product,
- Significant experience in a variety of industries, including healthcare, eCommerce, education, and so on,
- Clear and transparent agreements with clients and partners, which is critical in developing excellent and quality products,
- Non-disclosure agreements (NDAs),
- A fast development process that meets all deadlines,
- Post-release support and maintenance.
Contact us and move a step further to success!